Adverse Weather Information
Snow and Ice
In the event of severe weather conditions we have to consider key issues to make judgements about school closure. Closing the school is the very last option for us. We know that for working parents when the school has to close this presents problems with regard to childcare, so the decision will not be taken lightly.
We have to weigh up many different risks regarding travelling to school, site safety and pupil supervision on site. Maintaining the level of learning is extremely important, but we have to balance that against the risks to our pupils and staff.’
We will liaise closely with our local transport companies and senior staff in neighbouring schools. We will monitor local weather reports and liaise with our staff members in outlying areas to assess the travel conditions that might be affecting those who come to school by car and bus.
We will assess if we have sufficient numbers of staff on site to allow us to effectively supervise over 500 pupils.
To keep you informed:
- We will send a message to all parents and staff if we are unable to open and will do this as soon as we can make a reasonable assessment of the conditions.
- We will contact Parents/Carers via Parentmail, the school website and local radio stations.
- If the school remains open during bad weather, as a parent you can make the decision about whether or not you feel it is safe for your child to travel to school. If you feel it is unsafe for you to travel to school from where you live, please keep your child at home. If your children’s absence is specifically due to travel problems caused by the bad weather we can record this absence appropriately.
Once the decision has been made to open the school, the STURRY WAY ENTRANCE WILL BE CLOSED!
Entrance routes will be made safe for staff and pupils to enter the school as follows:
KS2 pupils - Enter via Romany Road only and into school through the double doors directly opposite the gate. At the end of the school day children will leave by this same route for collection by the Romany Road gates.
KS1, Reception and Nursery pupils - Enter via Twydall Lane or Romany Road and into school via the Children's Centre where staff will be waiting. At the end of the school day, children will be taken to the KS1 Hall by year group and can be collected from the Children’s Centre. Children in KS2 who are collected with younger siblings will be escorted through the school to the KS1 Hall to leave with their siblings.
Pedestrian visitors - The pathway from Romany Road down to the school reception and onto the Children's Centre will be made safe for any visitors on foot.
Permit Vehicle access – If you have permission to drive on site you may do so, but at your own risk. Entry for all PD pupils is via the KS2 Canopy only.
School closure during the school day
Parents will be notified via Parentmail or the School website. If parents are unable to collect their children early for any reason, we will ensure those pupils are kept in until the normal end of the school day.
Any change to the normal collection points for children when closing early will be detailed within the Parentmail communication and posted on the website.
Sometimes the temperature during the school day will increase to a notifiable level. If this occurs, the school will take the following actions but we will not close the school for this type of weather condition:
- If it is a projected weather warning, children will be asked to come into school wearing sun hats, sun cream and with lots of water to drink during the day.
- The school will ensure the children are hydrated during the day by giving frequent hydration breaks.
- Playtimes and break times, we will reduce to the minimum time outdoors
- If sports days occur during these times, which are very often, sports days will be planned for the morning session when it is cooler and aim to be over by midday.
- The staff will keep the school ventilated by leaving windows open, early in the morning and closing them (leaving only a small gap) when the temperature outside becomes higher than inside.